Crushed Grain Shelf Life?

The main ingredient

Crushed Grain Shelf Life?

Postby Pjam » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:17

How long will my crushed grain last?

In a cool shed in the bags and in plastic bins. I know the MM puts on a best before date but is he being cautious ? I've got some gain with a BB date of 2015 :!:
Pjam
Brewer

Re: Crushed Grain Shelf Life?

Postby LeeH » Sat Jan 19, 2019 13:05

Bin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To monitor my latest fermentation click here Black IPA
To view my new AG build click here
Keg 1: Berliner Weisse
Keg 2: APA
Keg 3: Stout (Nitro)
Keg 4: Empty
LeeH
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:30

I've got quite a lot that's coming up to two years old. I'm going to see if it smells or tastes funny, but then I'm going to do a brew with it. Most of it is still sealed in the 5kg bags MM used to do so I expect it to be fine, but probably lower yeild.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Tue Jan 22, 2019 07:38

I would not use it but I only crush my grain when my strike water is heating up, which might be a bit fussy but I like the resulting beer, I had some wheat that defo went off after a year you could smell it was not right
Brewzee
Brewer

Postby BigYin » Sun Jan 27, 2019 09:03

before you commit it to a brew, smell it, taste it, and you'll probably have a good idea if it's going to be a bad idea or not.

As already mentioned, it may have lower diastic strength, but then I mainly find it's only adjunct malts that end up lying around for donkeys, but the base malt never does - and since the vast majority of the fermentables will come from the base malt, the adjuncts are mainly there for colour and flavour, and don't really contribute much to the overall diastic strength (waits to be shot down in flames....)

So, taste and smell are still, in my humble opinion, a good test of adjunct malts before use - out of date or not :)
BigYin
Brewer