Buying malt by the kilo

The main ingredient

Buying malt by the kilo

Postby DaveS » Mon Mar 27, 2017 13:45

This might be a stupid question, but how do people deal with the fact that a lot of the online homebrew stores with the best ranges of malt will only sell the stuff by the kilo?

At the moment, I tend to either order stuff from Brewstore, who will weight stuff out by the 10g, or to specifically tweak recipes to get round numbers. But both of these options feel kind of limiting. Keeping stuff sitting around for ages doesn't seem ideal either since I haven't got a grain mill and have to buy pre-crushed malt.

I can't be the first person to be bothered by this! What do other folks do?

Thanks!
DaveS
Brewer

Re: Buying malt by the kilo

Postby Joe1002 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 14:11

I buy 25kg sacks of pre-crushed base malt and store it in one of these.

For everything else I buy it by the kilo and store it in the bags it comes in with the air squeezed out and in a blue container similar to the one above.

The base malt tends to get used in 3-6 months but some of the other malt can be a year or so old. I've made decent beers with old malt, it doesn't worry me too much as long as I keep them dry ans away from air as much as possible (yes I have been known to vac pack my malt :whistle: )

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby Rolfster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 14:23

I do very similar to Joe. A friend of mine used to freeze his malt. I think this is a bit extreme!
But i think there is an option on the malt miller website to build a recipe and just buy those ingredients in that quantity. That would mean an order every brewday.
Or a 25g sack split up into 5kg bags. That adds £3 I think.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 15:04

Rolfster wrote:I do very similar to Joe. A friend of mine used to freeze his malt. I think this is a bit extreme!
But i think there is an option on the malt miller website to build a recipe and just buy those ingredients in that quantity. That would mean an order every brewday.
Or a 25g sack split up into 5kg bags. That adds £3 I think.

Up until now, I have just bought what I needed via MM using their recipe builder. So if I wanted 5642g of Maris Otter... that is what they would send me, pre crushed ready to go. I order on a Thursday, receive on a Friday and brew that weekend.
It is an expensive way to do it, but I was originally told that ingredients needed to be used up as soon as possible... yet I've since learned (and Joe confirms it above) that it isn't all that critical.

As rolfster mentioned above as well, MM will provide a 25kg sack (crushed/uncrushed) and also have an option of packing that amount in 5x5kg bags, again crushed/uncrushed for just a slight amount extra.
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby BarnsleyBrewer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 15:40

I'm using choc malt that is around 4 - 5 years old that's kept nice and dry in the house, ok to use with no problems at all...
The only problem you'll ever get is badly stored crushed base malt, even if it's not out of date.... or just by buying Bairds....

As some of the guys on here have said.... buy a 25kg sack of crushed base malt and a selection of others in 1kg bags....
ie.. Crystal, Choc, Munich, Amber, Roasted barley, and Torrified for head retention or use crushed wheat malt.

BB

"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2018......... 104
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416
Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624
Pints brewed in 2014.. 832
BarnsleyBrewer
Brewer

Postby Pakman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 15:52

I use my old scratched FVs to store my base malt in. Buy by 25Kgs and it just fits into 3 FVs with close fitting lids. Keeps well in the garage. Speciality malts are kept in a box in the office in their original bags closed with a clip type bag sealer. Off to visit Boris on Thursday PM once I've placed my order on Tuesday evening (got a job to do in Bristol ;^)
Graham

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Postby vacant » Mon Mar 27, 2017 17:01

Worcester Hop Shop sell 500g amounts. Click on "grains 1Kg" and the 500g option appears.

My future plans include not much
vacant
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 19:01

Like others have said above, my grain storage is pretty similar. Speciality malts in air-tight bags/containers in a cool, dry place. I just keep base malt in the 25kg sack and roll the top over. The two breweries I worked at last year both just folded over the tops of the grain sacks for darker grains that didn't get so much use.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 19:05

I just clip up the sack of Maris otter when I've weighed out what I want and put it back on top if the fridge freezer.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Mon Mar 27, 2017 19:30

I'm with Joe, and the majority of others it seems. As I had a mouse problem in the garage a few years back the 25kg sack is stored in a plastic dust bin and the other malts in a sturdy plastic box.
Dennis King

Postby DaveS » Mon Mar 27, 2017 20:10

xCamel xSlayer wrote:Up until now, I have just bought what I needed via MM using their recipe builder. So if I wanted 5642g of Maris Otter... that is what they would send me, pre crushed ready to go. I order on a Thursday, receive on a Friday and brew that weekend.
It is an expensive way to do it, but I was originally told that ingredients needed to be used up as soon as possible... yet I've since learned (and Joe confirms it above) that it isn't all that critical.

Storage space is an issue for me as well as freshness, unfortunately. On the other hand, the MM recipe builder looks fantastic. For some reason I'd never previously noticed it, or wondered why they have more than 2000 "recipe kits" available!

Thanks!
DaveS
Brewer

Postby Pakman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 21:55

vacant wrote:Worcester Hop Shop sell 500g amounts. Click on "grains 1Kg" and the 500g option appears.

From what I've seen this week, they are also very competitive on price. :thumb:

Graham

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Mon Apr 03, 2017 06:45

one of the best things i did was buy a malt mill so i can store my grain uncrushed. wheat malt can smell off when its about a year old in my opinion. Also over years ive simplified a lot so now i will had 250 or 500 g of one type of crystal per brew not lots of bits of this and that.
Brewzee
Brewer